This is a question about modifying sketches other than through the IDE.
I'm using an Arduino Uno r3 + Arduino WiFi Shield (not the 101). Up to now I've been using the IDE to manually change the ssids and passwords to connect to wireless networks. As a next step, I'd like to create something that will let update the ssid and password from a source other than an IDE, preferably a batch or bash file. Over the air updates are out of the question (way too advanced) so it is safe to assume that all updates will be done via the USB cable. Based on my limited knowledge of what I think needs to happen, I need to solve the following high-level problems:
- Get the computer to recognize that a gateway is plugged into a USB port
- Prompt the user to enter the new ssid and network password
- Write to the ssid and password fields
- Compile the code and save it (equivalent compile/upload in the IDE)
- Run the sketch to find and connect to the network
I'd like this to look like two blank fields and a "submit" button to the user.
My imaginary use case is that I'm installing a clone of my gateway/sensor network at a technically-illiterate grandparent's house. I have no idea where to begin or even if such a thing is possible!
Assuming that it is possible, how can I make it easy for them to configure the gateway for use on their home network without resorting to the IDE?