I am having doubts with a project I'm making. My project involves a sets of LEDs stripes, among which some are controlled from a smartphone, and some automated. The LED strips are connected to an Arduino, that would receive commands from a phone. Here is a scheme, with essentials elements I marked for my project :
- A development board, with wifi support
- a framework/program allowing the smartphone to communicate with the board
- And an Android app with a color interface, to change LEDs colors
I made some research:
- I found a lot of boards, and eventually choose ESP32 boards (Good ones).
- I found a WLED system, that meet my requirements
- I know Home assistant, that offers more possibility than WLED
- I won't use local server, since it is not easy to use for other people (family members for example).
WLED seems to be very useful, and easy to use. But, from what I understood, if I installed WLED on my board, I would have to dedicate the entire board to the WLED program, and therefore i wouldn't be able to upload any other custom code to my board. Since I want some LEDs to be remotely controlled, and the others to run on an programmed loop, I don´t know if it´s a good idea
Home assistant is more complete, and shouldn't have the problem mentioned above. It can also support several devices, and can have many boards registered on it. I would like, later, to expand Home Assistant to other projects, this is why starting Home assistant now is a good idea. Thus, I believe I will go for Home Assistant
I now struggle with the following issues:
- I am unsure if i understood correctly, but I read some people complaints about certains ESP32 boards which need complete wifi configuration (networking stack), and are complicated to install. This is why I wanted adafruit boards, supposing that their chip has already an uploaded code. Is that right ?
- I also read on the internet that after compiling the networking stack on ESP8266 boards, there isn't much space left for the program to run. Given that I choose the ESP32, with more space, do I have plenty of space for my code, or is it still limited ?
- WLED seemed fine, but as I said, I'm not sure if I can upload code. Can I upload custom code and WLED system to the board, or is it entirely focused on WLED ?
Thanks to anyone who could bring some clarification to me, I will appreciate it !