I am trying to upload something directly to the ESP8266 using the ESP8266 IDE. I have configured the ESP8266 to communicate at 9600 using UART_DEF and I have set the ESP8266 IDE at 9600. I see some tutorials that say to use a FTDI but I only have a Serial to TTL cable (note it even says at the bottom that it's not good for Arduinos :( ) and am making the following connections:
- ESP8266 RX - TTL cable TX
- ESP8266 TX - TTL cable RX
- ESP8266 GND - common GND
- ESP8266 VCC - External 3.3V
- GND from External 3.3V - common GND
- ESP8266 GPI0 (through a 10k resistor) - common GND
- ESP8266 GPI2 (through a 10k resistor) - External 3.3V
- EPS8266 CH_PD - External 3.3V (sorry, that was wrong before)
However, when I upload that sketch I get an error that the board cannot be found. I have read online that the ESP has some bootloader mode that needs to be activated but haven't found great instructions on how to do that. Any advice would be appreciated.
FYI I also have an Uno if that is any help. I have communicated with the ESP8266 through the Uno before (connecting the Uno reset to ground) .