I am trying to create something that will allow me to control an individually adressable LED strip using an electric piano using its midi output.
Some things to note:
- The piano can output midi either via USB or via standard midi connectors.
- I have an Arduino Uno and an Arduino Mega available
- I'm using a WS2812B strip with +ve, ground and data cables
I don't believe there's a way to read midi from my piano direct to the arduinos without reflashing the USB controller. For this reason I'm connecting via USB to my mac. On my mac I've written a program which reads the midi input and can understand it and send it on to somewhere else.
The arduino for the light strip I think I can program pretty easily but I have some questions:
- If I need to power the LED strip, should I be powering it from the arduino power or giving it its own power source with common ground?
- Is splitting it up into midi -> computer, computer -> arduino, arduino -> LED strip sensible? If not how should I be going about it?
- Am I making life difficult by going the USB route for Midi or should I switch to midi connectors and connect direct to the arduino somehow?