1

I just purchased a set of 10 nRF24l01+ modules with a breakout board that looks like this:

nRF24l01+ module

Note: This is the nRF24l01+ chip, not a clone Si24Ri. Also, I'm using an Arduino Mega.

I'm following the Sparkfun tutorial here:
https://learn.sparkfun.com/tutorials/nrf24l01-transceiver-hookup-guide

The wires are hooked up like so:

  • 3.3V → VCC
  • GND → GND
  • PWM 8 → IRQ
  • PWM 9 → CE
  • PWM 10 → CSN
  • PWM 11 → MOSI
  • PWM 12 → MISO
  • PWM 13 → SCK

I've verified the two modules are hooked up as they should be. I'm using the GettingStarted example program for both units. Whenever I go into the serial monitor when connected to the transmitter, I get garbage values like <¯�SžRÖ being output. Whenever I try to transmit a message by entering t, nothing gets returned. The same problem is happening on the receiver end.

As for troubleshooting:

  • I've wiggled all of the jumper cables to verify a stable connection.
  • I've swapped out the modules I was using with others from the package (twice) so the modules probably aren't bad.
  • After reading that a capacitor is sometimes needed to provide a smoother voltage to the module, I upped the voltage from the 3.3V the Arduino was providing to a stable 3.5V from an external variable power supply to account for any small voltage dips. I don't have any capacitors available to me at the moment, so I figured this would be the next best option.

Unfortunately, my RF modules are still not correctly transmitting any data, and I don't know where to go from here.

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy

Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.