So, I am an Engineer working on a very time tight project.
I want to create a system capable of collecting data from a Photodiode and compiling it in a way that will separate data into four columns which correspond to colours (red, green, blue, yellow) the columns will have rows of data corresponding to a number.
I have elected to use Arduino for this project but need some help on what to get and whether this is possible or not... I have an intermediate knowledge of C, C++ and previous Arduino experience, but have never undertaken something like this.
The project is envisaged to look like this.
- Photodiode with RS232-C connection
- An Arduino (Which sort is best? now I have Uno and Mega but can purchase others should these not be sufficient for the project)
- Touchscreen Interface
- Storage capacity (SD card or email/Bluetooth capability or something alike to collect the data to edit on PC).
The Process should is like this: Input = User interacting with GUI on Touchscreen - First page will have Four Colours Available (Once one of these inputs selected let’s say Red, jump to next page) -> Page two will have a Touch Number Pad Input (User selects number, let's say 2 in this case and hits enter), For less complexity this could be on one page correct? -> The Data will then be read off a Photodiode communicating via RS232-C to Arduino and stored in a .csv or something similar under its previously selected values (Red, 2, Photodiode Value)
Output: A compiled list of all the data collected under their relative user inputs.
I currently have these items but am happy to purchase others.
- S130C Thorlabs Photodiode Sensor
- Null Modem Cable (Pins are swapped on S130C)
- RS232 Shield (DFRobot RS232 Shield V0.1)
- Arduino Uno, Arduino Mega
- TouchScreen (Duinotech 2.8” TFT LCD)
After re-reading what I wrote I suppose there are a few:
- Could I complete this project using Uno and Mega?
- Is there a method for compiling data and storing/sending using Arduino?
- What are the capabilities of Arduino? Could a project of this complexity be done using Arduino components or is there another microprocessor or microcomputer which would be a better choice for this project?