I'm on a Mac, running 10.11.6 and Arduino IDE 1.8.1.
I've been prototyping some projects using an Adafruit Trinket. I was not having any problems, until at some point my Mac stopped recognizing the trinket. Somewhere within that time, I installed the Digispark board and tested that as well. I also may have made some updates to the OS version.
I've tried many things to fix it including installing the FTDI drivers, plugging and unplugging. Restarts etc. Nothing seems to fix the issue. The board shows up in the system profiler, as well as USB Prober, but does not show as an option in the Arduino IDE. I've also tried using several different cables but no dice.
It's really frustrating, I'm not sure what else I can do to track the issue down.