I am following this link from Instructables site:


My question is:

Instead of using the Microphone Radioshack 33-3038, which is listed in the tutorial, can I use https://www.sparkfun.com/products/9964?

Kindly suggest if there any modifications required in other parts for the circuitry, if I go for Electret Microphone.

  • Oooh, another wonderful Instructable circuit design... shudder
    – Majenko
    Oct 5, 2015 at 12:59

1 Answer 1


The replacement microphone you link to contains all the circuitry in that instructable*. You can do away with the op-amp and all the associated stuff, and just connect it direct to the analog input of the Arduino.

*Actually it's better circuitry since they do it right, unlike the Destructable that is a rubbish circuit.

  • Destructable! Awesome!
    – Gerben
    Oct 5, 2015 at 14:33
  • @Gerben 90% of what is on Instructables is complete and utter garbage. The other 10% is my comments telling them so ;)
    – Majenko
    Oct 5, 2015 at 14:58
  • one more query guys, As sparkfun Electret microphone has already inbuilt op-amp, So do I need to discard op-amp circuitry in instructable site or just proceed with op-amp circuitry ? confirm me.
    – ferraro
    Oct 5, 2015 at 16:54
  • 1
    Discard it. As I said in my answer, connect it direct to an analog input.
    – Majenko
    Oct 5, 2015 at 16:56
  • Thanks Majenko As you suggested I made a connection to A0 and I can see I was able to get the frequency values as my output, But I can see code is not stable at all, So could you suggest me is there any good reference code or any blog which can help me out to get the frequency hz values as my output when I connect electret microphone to arduino.
    – ferraro
    Oct 6, 2015 at 11:40

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service and acknowledge you have read our privacy policy.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.